check_ping oddities

Mascardo, Erwin Erwin.Mascardo at intelsat.com
Thu Sep 29 23:03:16 CEST 2005

Right, that's what was happening with me, and seems to be happening with
you. In my case, I was getting 5 packets back, but 6 had been sent, so
5/6 resulted in 84% success or 16% loss. What's happening with you is
that you're getting 2 back for 7 sent (giving your 71% -- you have
"real" drops in there), or 6 back for 8 sent (getting the 25% result).

Looking at the source, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the
logic -- the loop which sends the packets runs for the number of times
specified on the command line, and the result of the check doesn't come
into play. Maybe I'm not reading it correctly, though.

On a different note,  you may want to make sure that your monitored
hosts aren't source-quenching your checks. We had that problem here when
we first switched to check_icmp.

--Erwin

Intelsat is a global communications provider offering flexible and
secure services to customers in over 220 countries and territories.
Intelsat has maintained a leadership position for over 40 years by
distributing video, voice, and data for television and content providers,
government and military entities, major corporations, telecommunications carriers,
and Internet service providers. Intelsat's reach, power and expanding solutions
portfolio deliver information reliably and quickly to every corner of the globe.

For more information, visit www.intelsat.com.

This email message is for the sole use of the intended
information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
destroy all copies of the original message.  Any views
expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender, except where the sender specifically states them
to be the views of Intelsat, Ltd. and its subsidiaries.