nrpe meta-character arguments

Mohr James james.mohr at elaxy.com
Fri Sep 23 19:09:17 CEST 2005

Hi All!

We are using Nagios 2.0b3 and would like to send specific metacharacters
using check_nrpe and have run into the limitation that certain
characters are listed as "bad". Particulary we would like to send URL
through check_nrpe to a remote machine which then checks the URL using
check_http. (the Nagios machine does not have direct access to the
machine in questions). In the URL we are passing variables to a CGI
script and it contains a couple of ampersands (&).

I saw a discussion in the list archive from last year, where this issues
was discussed, but the state of things is unclear. I looked at the 2.0
nrpe.c and see that ampersands are still listed as "nasty characters".
While it would be fairly easy to modify the code and recompile it for
Linux so that ampersands are allowed, nrpe is running on a Windows
machine, which makes things a fair bit more complex. In addition, my
boss would prefer not to change the code unless there was absolutely no
choice.

One thing I looked at was encoding the query string and then sending it
to a wrapper first, which then decoded it and called check_http.
Alternatively, we could send the parts of the query string as seperate
arguments and the combine them at the other end. However, my boss is not
happy with "crutches" like this that have wrappers around other programs
to give it functionality that was not built into it.

So I was wondering if there is another solution? Is there anything
available or even planned?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Jim Mohr