Problem with cgi auth with apache2 and nagios2

Gary Spechko garys at autowc.com
Thu Sep 22 23:35:20 CEST 2005

Until yesterday, I had a bare-bones nagios 2 working fine on apache 1.3
- the .htaccess file was working, no problems - I tried to access a cgi,
it asked for the uid/pwd, I provided them, and away we went.

Yesterday I installed Nagios 2 on a system (SuSe 9.0) with apache2.  I
made all the appropriate changes to the httpd.conf file, added an
.htaccess file to /usr/local/nagios/sbin and used htpasswd2 to create
the authuserfile.  When I try to access any of the CGI's I get
403:Forbidden - it never bothers to ask me for a uid/pwd pair.

I've spent hours scouring the web for a solution (finding quite a few
other people with the same problem, but no replies), I've spent hours in
the apache IRC channel asking there... and now I'm coming to you.

/var/log/apache2/access_log reports 403 1016 (I assume 1016's the error
code for the 403 denied message)
/var/log/apache2/error_log reports: client denied by server
configuration: /user, referer: http://blah/side.htm (where blah is my
server)