Nagios 3.0

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Sep 21 21:44:14 CEST 2005

Mohr James wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> I read the "wishlist" for Nagios 3.0 and the entry "Multi-Line Plugin
> Output" caught my eye. I have a couple of questions about this. Does
> this enhancement change the number of characters permitted or is simply
> allow plugins to send multiple lines, but there will still be the 350
> character limit?

(the answers really come in a bad order here, so read below)
There won't be a 350-char limit. At least not permanently.

> Although we would appreciate increasing the amount of data plug-ins can
> send, the ability to accept multiple lines is useful. Is this just a
> wish?

Yes. It's not a planned feature, so it'd be a wish.

> Is it actively being worked on?

Yes. The runcmd framework discussed for the plugins is seeing some heavy
modifications currently, and is being adapted for daemon use. On my FC3
laptop (1.6 Ghz or some such, 1GB RAM) I can successfully run 510
plugins in 2 seconds, provided none take longer than 0.5 seconds
(average plugin execution time on our system) to complete. This includes
reading output of any length or numbers of lines on both stdout and
stderr. The limit is (sysconf(_SC_OPEN_MAX) - 5) / 2, which means most
systems will be able to run at least 250 checks in parallell. Linux has
a higher "hard roof" for this particular resource, so performance
shouldn't be a problem, and it'll get rid of the FIFO bottleneck.

As for how to store the output I'm a bit uncertain. The easiest way is
probably to use the backslash continuation and leave it at that.

> What is the timeline for Nagios 3.0?

No-one knows for sure, but given the current lack of development in
Nagios (which is slow but ok, since everything seems to be working just
fine), I'd say it'll be a while.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer