Status Notifications

Steven Coutts scoutts at bcs.org.uk
Wed Sep 21 17:37:10 CEST 2005

Nagios 2.0b4

I am not getting e-mail notfications of services or hosts going down.

I am using this host template -:

define host{
        name                            generic-host
        notifications_enabled           1
        event_handler_enabled           1
        flap_detection_enabled          1
        failure_prediction_enabled      1
        process_perf_data               1
        retain_status_information       1
        retain_nonstatus_information    1
        active_checks_enabled           1
        passive_checks_enabled          1
        register                        0
        }

And an example host -:

define host{
        use                             generic-host
        host_name                       switch
        alias                           Master Switch
        address                         ************
        check_command                   check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts              5
        process_perf_data               0
        retain_nonstatus_information    0
        contact_groups                  admins
        notification_interval           30
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            d,u,r
        }

This is the service template I am using -:

define service{
        name                            switch
        active_checks_enabled           1
        passive_checks_enabled          1
        parallelize_check               1
        obsess_over_service             1
        check_freshness                 0
        notifications_enabled           1
        event_handler_enabled           1
        flap_detection_enabled          1
        failure_prediction_enabled      1
        process_perf_data               1
        retain_status_information       1
        retain_nonstatus_information    1
        register                        0
        }

And an example service -:

define service{
        use                             switch
        host_name                       ************
        service_description             PING
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              4
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  admins
        notification_interval           300
        notification_period             24x7
        check_command                   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
        }

If I do acknowledge a service error I do get an email confirming that, but get none saying a service or host has gone down or came back up.

Anyone any ideas where I could be going wrong?

Regards

--
Steven Coutts B.Sc.(Hons) MBCS
scoutts at bcs.org.uk