NTP jitter (not parsed) breaks check_ntp?

John Christian potus98 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 21 16:37:53 CEST 2005

Hello,

My, ummm, friend's data center lost power this
weekend. All servers came back up, but now it seems
that check_ntp is not working properly. The NTP
service detail for some hosts is fine (green) but most
NTP services are state pending (grey). They have
remained state pending for 3+ days.

Running check_ntp manually reveals:

foo:/usr/local/nagios/libexec # ./check_ntp -H
hostgreen NTP OK: Offset -0.000513 secs, jitter 1.74
msec, peer is stratum 3|offset=-0.000513,
jitter=0.00174,peer_stratum=3

foo:/usr/local/nagios/libexec # ./check_ntp -H
hostgrey
Argument "(not parsed)" isn't numeric in abs at
./check_ntp line 401.
NTP OK: Offset -0.000141 secs, jitter (not parsed)
msec, peer is stratum 2|offset=-0.000141,
jitter=0,peer_stratum=2

check_ntp (nagios-plugins 1.4.1) 1.29
Nagios 2.0b4
Solaris 9

The NTP daemons are running on all hosts and are in
sync. I suspect the problem is related to the
check_ntp script not handling the "jitter (not
parsed)" feedback properly.

I've tried restarting the ntp daemons and restarting
nagios, but it didn't help.

BTW: For the NTP services that are in the grey pending
state, it appears they become ignored because the next
scheduled service check never changes. I can force a
manual check -which updates the next scheduled check-
but it stays grey and no additional checks are
auto-scheduled.

How do I get my NTP clients to parse some jitter? Or,
how else should I fix this problem? TIA!
-John