NSClient hangs randomly

Pete Dewell pete at stuff-done.co.uk
Mon Sep 19 23:41:12 CEST 2005

Try changing the port on which nsclient works. This is a problem with
Exchange - it tends to pinch the 1248 port. I found that changing the
port to 2323 tends to stop this happening.

Pete Dewell

Robby Brewer wrote:
> I could not find any info searching the archive.  Has anyone had an issue with NSClient hanging occasionally?  Check_nt running against NSClient on a Windows Exchange server mostly works.  Occasionally though it appears that the service hangs.  All requests timeout both via the console and via the command line.  I have tried increasing the timeout value to 30 and even 60 seconds, but once the service appears to hang it will not return any results.  Stopping and restarting the service clears everything up until the next hang.  This is occurring as frequently as a few times a day, but not every day.  When NSClient is not returning anything I can telnet to port 1248:
>
> [root at nagiosconsole libexec]# ./check_nt -H corp.ud.com -p 1248 -t 60 -v USEDDISKSPACE -l C -w 80 -c 90
> No data was recieved from host!
>
> [root at nagiosconsole root]# telnet corp.ud.com 1248
> Trying 10.10.0.207...
> Connected to exchange.corp.ud.com (10.10.0.207).
> Escape character is '^]'.

> After restarting the service
> [root at nagiosconsole libexec]# ./check_nt -H exchange.corp.ud.com -p 1248 -t 30 -v USEDDISKSPACE -l C -w 80 -c 90
> C:\ - total: 67.72 Gb - used: 45.63 Gb (67%) - free 22.09 Gb (33%)
>
> We have completely uninstalled and reinstalled NSClient, but get the same behavior.  The windows event viewer does not show anything interesting.  This occurs using both version 1.06.02 and 2.01.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

> Robby Brewer
> Senior Support Engineer
> United Devices
> 512-692-4126

Pete Dewell | Stuff Done
pete at stuff-done.co.uk

** The information contained in this message, including any attachment,
is confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected from
disclosure. The information is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender and delete this message from your system. Any review,
re-transmission, distribution or other use of this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. *