CLI alternative to web interface

jeff vier boinger at tradingtechnologies.com
Fri Sep 16 23:02:42 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 13:45 -0700, Fitzpatrick, Paul wrote:
> Is there a CLI method of doing such things as disabling/enabling a check, notifications, etc for a single
> host?  That is, things the web gui allows you to do to manage service checks, but using a script instead.

absolutely.

Just echo whatever would be pushed into the nagios.cmd file (manually,
via a script, whatever).

The easiest way (for me) to determine what you should be echoing is to
make sure logging is turned on for whatever action you're trying to do.
Do the action via the web interface, and watch it happen in the logs.

Then mimic it.

As an example, to Ack an alert:
----------
TIME="`date +%s`"
host=hostname
service=Ping
sticky=0
notify=1
persistent_comment=0
acknowledger=Boinger
comment="Paul unplugged the ethernet cable."

echo "[$TIME] ACKNOWLEDGE_SVC_PROBLEM;$host;$service;$sticky;$notify;
$persistent_comment;$acknowledger;$comment" > nagios_cmd