Nagios plugin to copy large text files

Andrew Cruse andrew at profitability.net
Fri Sep 16 19:11:56 CEST 2005

nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:

> scp, ftp, rsync, ftp, wget and CFEngine are not a viable
> solution for security reasons. Basically, we are not allowed
> to open ports through the various firewalls without
> permission from the customer. Several are online brokers that
> are obviously very security conscious. It is extremely
> unlikely that all of the would allow us to open additional
> ports *and* install the necessary applications. Since you can
> start only the applications that are configured in nrpe.cfg,
> this is an acceptable risk as the bank auditors that check
> the brokers servers (which we manage) can instantly identify
> which applications could be run on the remote system.

This doesn't make any sense to me.  You don't need to open any incoming
ports to allow the client machines to scp a file to your Nagios server.
Or are you saying these server don't actually have some version of SSH
installed on them so you'd have to get SSH software approved?

> Even if we got ftp or any of the other applications
> authorized for every single customer, we have the additional
> problem of relating the currently executed script to a
> specific file that we get via ftp. When we see a problem on a
> remote machine, we are using calling check_nrpe from a web
> application to execute a specific command on that machine
> (probably something for which check_nrpe was not designed.)

You'd probably need to write your own check that parses through the
files that get copied over to the Nagios server.  Shouldn't be a big
challenge, really.

Andrew