Simple windows client

Johan Barelds mailings at good-it.com
Thu Sep 15 20:44:35 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I am using Nagios for a while now and i am a true believer.
We do have around 200 window servers in our environment which need to be
monitored and Nagios does the job quit well.
Unfortunaly it's rather labour and study intensive to get a complete set of
windows clients/scripts that fullfills ones monitor needs;

Until now i haven't found a windows client which was:

a. an out-of-the-box installation (e.g. msi file) and
b. having a very simple gui in which all the configuration stuff could be done
in a very intuitive matter and
c. has all the needed monitor functionality in this one client (like
eventlogs, perfmon counters, disk/cpu/mem usage etc.) and
d. produced a single conf file which could be distributed quit easy to simular
windows servers to prevent manual configuration on each server and
e. has a large installed base so feedback and corrective actions on
bugs/feature requests is quit good.

Is it an idea to develop such a "general windows client" instead of making a
lot of smaller programms, scripts by a lot of people, which needs a lot of
studying/implementing/configuring etc. to get it working?

Unfortunatly i am not a programmer otherwise i would have made it myself..:-)
But it would be nice if there are some programmers around who are interested
in starting such a project.
I am very curious if i am the only one looking at it this way or if there is
"a market" for such a new windows client.

Please let me know your thoughts...

--
Kind Regards / Met vriendelijke groet,
Johan Barelds