perfparse doesn't display hosts, services - UPDATE

John Christian potus98 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 02:51:22 CEST 2005

Oops. I should also have included this handy message
from nagios.log:

[1126658872] Nagios 2.0b4 starting... (PID=28393)
[1126658872] LOG VERSION: 2.0
[1126658872] Finished daemonizing... (New PID=28394)
[1126658872] Warning: File
'/usr/local/nagios/var/perfdata-service.log' could not
be opened - service performance data will not be
written to file!

--- John Christian <potus98 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Gurus,
>
> I'm trying to integrate PerfParse with Nagios. When
> access the PerfData Graphs page, I get the PerfParse
> logo, but no hosts or services are listed. I read
> that
> these fields should be auto-populated if the
> performance data is being delivered correctly. As a
> result, I suspect the performance data is not making
> it all the way to PerfParse.
>
> Nagios is logging performance data when I point it
> a file. But when I connect Nagios to PerfParse via a
> pipe, I don't know how to check that the performance
> data is going into the pipe or arriving in the MySQL
> database. How do I "look" at the pipe? Or view the
> contents of the 'perfparse' database in MySQL?
>
> Any suggestions on what may be broken or how to
> continue diagnosing the problem? TIA! -John
>
> Additional Info:
>
> Nagios 2.04b
> PerfParse v0.105.6
> SunOS 5.9 Generic_112233-12 Sun-Fire-880
>
> It seems PerfParse can connect to the MySQL
> database:
> /usr/local/nagios/bin/check_perfparse_version
> OK Perfparse Database Version Correct: 0.19. |
> pp_ver=0.19 true_ver=0.19
>
> I start perfparsed first and it creates a pipe in
> /usr/local/nagios/var:
> prw-r-----   1 root     other          0 Sep 13
> 12:08
> perfdata-service.log
> ...Then I start nagios and it seems to run fine,
> perform checks, and provide the normal web
> interface.
>

> Relevent entries from nagios.cfg:
>
> cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios_perfparse.cfg
> nagios_user=nagios
> nagios_group=nagios
> perfdata_timeout=5
> process_performance_data=1
> host_perfdata_command=process-host-perfdata
> service_perfdata_command=process-service-perfdata

service_perfdata_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/perfdata-service.log

host_perfdata_file_template=[HOSTPERFDATA]\t$TIMET$\t$HOSTNAME$\t$HOSTEXECUTIONTIME$\t$HOSTOUTPUT$\t$HOSTPERFDATA$

service_perfdata_file_template=[SERVICEPERFDATA]\t$TIMET$\t$HOSTNAME$\t$SERVICEDESC$\t$SERVICEEXECUTIONTIME$\t$SERVICELATENCY$\t$SERVICEOUTPUT$\t$SERVICEPERFDATA$
> #host_perfdata_file_mode=a
> #service_perfdata_file_mode=a
> #host_perfdata_file_processing_interval=0
> #service_perfdata_file_processing_interval=0

#host_perfdata_file_processing_command=process-host-perfdata-file

#service_perfdata_file_processing_command=process-service-perfdata-file

> Relevent entries from nagios_perfparse.cfg:
>
> define command{
>         command_name    process-service-perfdata
>         command_line

/usr/local/nagios/bin/perfparse_nagios_pipe_command.pl