parent/child and alerts

Rossz Vamos-Wentworth rossz at vamos-wentworth.org
Mon Sep 12 18:14:23 CEST 2005

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Rossz Vamos-Wentworth wrote:
>
>> Andreas Ericsson wrote:

>>> You screwed up your configuration.
>>

>> I think I see the problem.  Dumb of me.  I'm testing the router that
>> connects my nagios server to the internet.  Pinging it works just fine
>> even when there is no internet connection.
>>
>> What do other people use to test their connectivity?
>>

> A google ping (or some such), or the default route for your router.

I've defined this check command:

define command{
   command_name    check_connectivity
   command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H www.google.com -w 100.0,20% -c
500.0,60%
}

And changed my router ping test to this:

define service{
         use                             local-service
         host_name                       router
         service_description             CONNECTIVITY
         is_volatile                     0
         check_period                    24x7
         max_check_attempts              3
         normal_check_interval           15
         retry_check_interval            1
         contact_groups                  linux-admins
         notification_interval           240
         notification_period             24x7
         notification_options            c,r
         check_command                   check_connectivity
         }

And made all remote hosts children of "router".  Notifications for this
service is disabled since it wouldn't work without any connectivity.
I'll configure one of my remote servers to PING test my primary nagios
server and send an alert if it fails.

But I think there might still be a problem.  I think I need to configure
the router host to be entirely dependent upon this check.  I'm reading
up on host/service dependencies now.

--
Rossz