Question about NRPE operation

schönfeld / in-medias-res schoenfeld at in-medias-res.com
Fri Sep 9 11:07:02 CEST 2005

Hi,

thanks for your answere. It helped me a lot.

Andreas Ericsson schrieb:
>> If so: Linux ncpfs is not able of threading
>> ncpfs operations. So if one process is accessing the ncpfs and gets
>> a SIGKILL, the ncp connection becomes invalid and the source of my
>> problem would be identified.
>>

> This really can't be. Any locks and resources held by a terminated
> process should be cleared by the kernel (if not by the process itself).
> If they aren't, you've found a kernel bug.

Yes it is a bug in the ncpfs code of the kernel. Well not really a bug
but an implementation weakness. The maintainer of the kernel ncpfs code
So yes i could take it as a bug or just as an implementation weakness.
Anyways would that identify my problems and make me really unhappy with
that.
stated the following in the kernel mailinglist a while ago:

"You also must not send SIGKILL to processes which are in the middle of
NCP transaction. Because of ncpfs does not use its own thread (or bh)
to implement NCP ping-pong protocol, connection becomes invalid after
such action, as ping-pong was not successfully completed."

Well to know that doesn't make me happier but a little bit wiser.

What could be a possible solution / workaround? Any ideas?

Greets
Patrick