Remote monitoring (distributed)

Evgeny Stepanov enst at rao.elektra.ru
Fri Sep 9 06:09:58 CEST 2005

Hello everyone!
I'm Nagios newbie and have some doubts.
What am i doing? I have nagios host that is doing active checks for the
hosts it can reach and is doing some checks via nsclient++ on remote
hosts for the hosts it can't reach directly.
so, i made the config like that:

define host{
use generic-host
host_name my-distant-host
alias Distant host @ Khabarovsk
# address 10.216.4.42
check_command check-dist-host!10.216.4.42!50,100!1500,2000
check_interval 3
max_check_attempts 10
notification_interval 120
notification_period 24x7
notification_options d,u,r
contact_groups admins
}
The command check-dist-host looks like
define command{
command_name check-dist-host
command_line $USER1$/check_nrpe2 -H 192.168.11.8 -c check_dist_host_alive!$ARG1$!$ARG2$!$ARG3$
}

192.168.11.8 is the host, that is actually performing ping with the perl check_ping.pl script.
I commented out the address field because i used to get a
lot of flapping, because (as far as think) nagios checks
whether host is alive in some extra way other than check_command.
With address field commented it works well.
but i think it's not the _right_ way of doing things in nagios.
Any ideas? How do you resolve these situations of monitoring
different network resources across the network?. I thought of distributed
monitoring, but unfortunetly i don't have any *nix hosts in 192.168.0.0 network
to put nagios on it. And i don't want to make any holes on my firewalls and
routers to route all these dummy networks...
Any help would be great!

Best regards, Evgeny Stepanov