Service check delays in distributed monitor setup

Fred f1216 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 20:03:35 CEST 2005

I think I have found the source of my issue with distributed monitoring and
service checks.

It turns out that if you enable distributed monitoring, even passive service
check definitions seem to get scheduled to run when nagios starts up.  If
you have say 10350 services (give or take one) and use smart scheduling of
services, you could easily see 3+ hours between the time that the first service
is scheduled and the last one.   Changing the smart schduling to "n" for
no delay causes the services to not be scheduled in the future, but by the
time nagios processes the entire configuration file, the start time is in
the past and I think nagios forgets about the service so it is never scheduled
again.

I'm currently trying a service_inter_check_delay_method=0.05 which puts me
at about 3 minutes for 10,000+ services, which seems to be enough time for
nagios to startup and still have its first pending service scheduled in the
near future rather then the near past ...

Does this make sense to anyone who has been messing with these configuration
settings?

Is there a better way to do this?  I.e., I would like for nagios to *not*
consider the passive checks in any scheduling.  I actually only have a small
number of active checks which when run will populate the rest of the passive
checks for the entire cluster, the problem is that it seems the node that I
run these checks on is alphabetically *after* all of the other nodes so it
seems to be scheduled last and has services starting the furthest out.

Thanks.
-FredC