FW: servicegroups issue

Zoltan Arpadffy zoltan.arpadffy at essnet.se
Wed Sep 7 15:25:06 CEST 2005

hi,

I am very new to nagios and try to explore as much I can appreciate with
limited knowledge.
I use 2.04b and it works perfect.

Specially the hostgroups feature that it is possible to define services
for entire hostgroup is fantastic.
It makes possible monitor whole network with reasonable small config
files.

What I miss is a possibility to define servicegroups with hostgroup
members.

For example:

define hostgroup{
        hostgroup_name  polarhome
        alias           Polarhome Servers
        members
redhat,debian,freebsd,netbsd,openbsd,vax,alpha,qnx,tru64,qnx,solaris,hpu
x,irix,aix
        }

define service{
        use                  generic-service
        hostgroup_name       polarhome
        service_description  SMTP
        contact_groups       polarhome-admins
        check_command        check_smtp

Now I would like to define (and it would be very useful to see) a
servicegroup like:

#define servicegroup{
servicegroup_name       smtp-services
       alias            SMTP Services
       members          polarhome,SMTP,gate,SMTP
       }

Unfortunately, this is not possible:
Error: Could not find a service matching host name 'polarhome' and
description 'SMTP'
Error: Could not expand member services specified in servicegroup
(config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/servicegroups.cfg', starting on line
1)

Am I doing something wrong - or this is not implemented at all.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,