oscp_command never runs

Ludwig Pummer Ludwig.Pummer at Copart.Com
Wed Sep 7 00:29:56 CEST 2005

Let me start off by saying I've already searched the mailing list for this issue and checked for issues mentioned in those messages. Of course, it's possible that I didn't find (and therefore didn't check for) the issue which is causing my problem...

I'm running Nagios 1.2 compiled from source package on FreeBSD. I'm experimenting with setting up distributed + failover monitoring, so my configuration is fairly small and clean. Right now, I'm trying to make 'boba' send its service check results to 'jango' using the ocsp_command.

My nagios.cfg has:
ocsp_command=submit_check_result_smart
ocsp_timeout=5
obsess_over_services=1
use_retained_program_state=0
I've also turned on all logging options except the initial state option.

My services.cfg template for all of the services has:
obsess_over_service             1

my misccommands.cfg has:
define command{
        command_name    submit_check_result_smart
        command_line    /usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/submit_check_result_smart $HOSTNAME$ '$SERVICEDESC$' $SERVICESTATE$ '$OUTPUT$'`
}

I have 4 hosts and 6 services configured (1 PING on each host, and NRPE check_nagios on 2 of the 4 hosts) and they've been running fine.

My event handler does a lookup on the hostname passed to it and then calls send_nsca. It also writes a line to its own log file with the arguments passed to it.

If I manually run this event handler as the nagios user:
root at boba# su -l nagios /usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/submit_check_result_smart jango 'PING' OK 'test ping time 0.4ms'
1 data packet(s) sent to host successfully.
root at boba#

My event handler's log after the above manual run:
submit_check_result_smart called with 1:jango 2:PING 3:OK 4:test ping time 0.4ms, found;1, return_code:0

On host jango, in nagios.log, I see:
EXTERNAL COMMAND: PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;jango;PING;0;test ping time 0.4ms

Nagios doesn't find any errors in my config (just 1 warning about a contact not belonging to a contact group), and I've stopped it, removed the status.sav file, and restarted it. The CGI interface's Process Info page on boba says that Obessing is enabled. I see nothing in my nagios.log about the ocsp_command being run, and my submit_check_result_smart script's log file never shows that the command was run.

Anyone have any ideas why the ocsp_command is not being executed?

--Ludwig Pummer