fork errors

Adams, Russell L. RLAdams at Kelsey-Seybold.com
Fri Sep 2 17:12:42 CEST 2005

What distro?

I had issues on Debian Woody with fork errors, and had to update some
values which improved the situation but never actually fixed it.

In sysctl.conf:

kernel/threads-max = 100000

In /etc/security/limits:

root            soft    nproc           1024
nagios          soft    nproc           1024
root            hard    nproc           2048
nagios          hard    nproc           2048

This kernel threads value helped, but there seems that there's another
value hardcoded into the kernel that can only be changed via
recompile. I can't remember what value that was, but it was set way
too low in the default 2.4 kernel from Debian for Woody.

I've been meaning to see what happens with Sarge.

Russell