404 Not Found

jeff vier boinger at tradingtechnologies.com
Thu Sep 1 15:53:28 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 23:53 +0100, Lee Ball wrote:
> I have to disagree here, I find it more awkward to have to scroll down
> through what has already been written to view the new bits, especially

so trim the junk, keep the necessary content.
"[snip]" and "[chop]" are useful to denote significant removed content.

> when sometimes the replies don't go in the >> format properly.

that's a mail client issue, not a technique issue.
If your mail client can't quote properly, use a better one.

> I know to change the config of apache to /nagios/ (only after realising
> the manual conflicted with itself). But if someone follows it word for
> word then they might have an issue.

So do your "duty" as a good Nagios mailing list citizen and post a
follow-up summary.  You needn't include *any* context there, in many
cases.

Context replying isn't as pivotal to understanding the logic on
single-subject, short-reply threads *while you're engaged in the
conversation*.  However, when these messages are archived and a future
user is searching them, proper context is vital to an efficient
evaluation of the content.

Only since the advent of Outlook has this lazy top-post format come into
any amount of vogue.  Previous to that horrid mail client, most (all?)
mail clients and newsreaders defaulted to quoting (properly) and
starting the reply at the bottom.

Hope this clarifies things.

I will say I am very glad that top-posting is considered a faux pas on
this list.  So many lists these days don't take a stance and it
irritates me considerably.