Nagios Vs MOM

Dave Augustus davea at support.kcm.org
Fri Oct 28 19:00:01 CEST 2005

I am not familiar enough with MOM to make a direct comparison with
Nagios.

But let me say that we are a Windows shop and I have directed to make
Nagios redundant because we are relying on Nagios for so many things.

We currently monitor 59 hosts and 118 services. Those numbers are
increasing everyday. We have successfully implemented event handlers to
restart ssh tunnels and other processes on Windows boxes.

For logs, we run ntsyslog on all the Windows servers. This app routes
Event Viewer entries to the same host that Nagios runs on using syslog-
ng.

Then using, mysql and phpsyslog-ng, we query the logs and review them
within having to look at the host. Phpsyslog-ng also has a tail function
that allows us to TAIL ALL LOGS sent to this host.

That is what we have done with Nagios, Syslog-ng, NtSyslog, Mysql and
phpsyslog-ng. The cost to implement this boils down to installing and
configuring these apps, minus the license costs.

Enjoy.
Dave

--
Dave Augustus <davea at support.kcm.org>