"No response" result code inconsistency in nagios-plugins

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Oct 28 16:57:09 CEST 2005

Ian Chard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There seems to be a general inconsistency in how "no response"
> conditions are handled in some of the plugins.  For example:
>
> 	check_snmp		UNKNOWN
> 	check_nt		CRITICAL
> 	check_ifoperstatus	WARNING
>
> I would have thought that a plugin should return UNKNOWN if nothing
> is received unless it's the response itself that's being tested (i.e.
> check_ping should obviously return CRITICAL if no packets are received).

In general it's nice to be told (in large letters, preferrably) that the
transportation mechanism failed. Most people choose to not receive
UNKNOWN notifications.

I lobbied some time ago for the inclusion of a -T variable which would
specify the exit-status in case of network timeouts. The plugin package
at http://oss.op5.se/nagios deploys this for the check_nt plugin as a
sort of proof of workability. The syntax is case insensitive and accepts
any level of ambiguity.

> Do Nagios folk agree, and if so, is it worth logging this as a bug?

Bug, no. Consistency request, sure.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se