host critical even through ping check is off?

John Christian potus98 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 28 14:16:40 CEST 2005

Hi nagios gurus,

Q: How do I erase or reset all traces of a host from Nagios' memory so I can
re-add the host from scratch?

Q: What's the max number of hosts I should have on a single "host_name" line
inside a "define service" section of a services.cfg file?

DETAILS:

Nagsio 2.0b4 on Solaris 9 with apache 2.0.54 has been running great for a
while. After adding some more hosts to be monitored, the nagios web content has
become flaky.

For example: I added hosts to nagios that were on my DMZ (which are not
pingable). By mistake, I left a check_command in their host definition of
check-host-alive which trys to ping the host. Of course, the host initially
showed up as red/critical even though the services were okay. I removed the
check_command for these DMZ hosts (so they were like my other non-pingable
hosts) and they went back to green -for a little bit.

Now, it seems these new DMZ hosts keep switching between green/ok and
red/critical for no reason. The monitored services are green/ok all of the
time. When these hosts go red/critical by mistake, they all do so at the same
time. The other non-pingable hosts (which we've been monitoring for a while)
continue to show green/ok as usual.

Also, when I access the "service detail" page, I used to get a complete list of
all hosts and all services monitored. Now, this page will sometimes omit some
of the new hosts. If I refresh, sometimes they'll show up. If I "Show host" by
name, they may or may not show up.

I've cleared my browser's cache. I've restarted nagios multiple times. I've
waited 24 hours to see if it will clean itself up. But the problem persists.

Thanks for any suggestions or hints on other things I can check!
-John