Multiple IP's For Single Host

Greg Vickers g.vickers at qut.edu.au
Fri Oct 28 03:19:25 CEST 2005

Hi Joseph,

Joseph Hardeman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there is a way to identify multiple addresses for a
> single host?  I am running ver2.0b4.  I am wanting to check the internal
> and external interfaces of some VPN routers and was wondering if this
> could be done without creating a host entry for each interface.  If not,
> then that is cool.  Just will have to update my scripts to create those
> entries when outputting the cfg files.

What people usually do is define a host for each interface and make the
interface closest to the Nagios host the parent of the interface
furthest away from the Nagios host.

You can define multiple host addresses and write your host checks so
that multiple addresses are catered for, e.g.:

define command{
	check_name	check-host-alive
	check_line	/path/to/check_icmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$
}

But by using this method you can run across problems differentiating
between the interfaces - e.g. how do you tell which interface is
offering SSH and which isn't?

> For example:
>
> define host{
> 	host_name			bogus-router