Drill down to more detail

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Wed Oct 26 20:29:02 CEST 2005

In message <435F764A.6080705 at midnighthax.com>,
Keith Edmunds writes:
>We have a need to be able to retrieve longer, more detailed messages
>when Nagios alerts us to a problem. We're toying with the idea of making
>the status text from the plugin (sent via NRPE) a hyperlink to a more
>detailed error report. Before we look at coding this, has anyone done
>anything similar or - worse! - have I overlooked something in Nagios
>that could do this?

I don't think you have overlooked anything.

I had to create a wrapper that I used to gather all the lines of data
from a plugin.  It then stores it in the filsystem whre apache can
server it under:

   WWW_NAGIOS_ROOT/data/host/service/<timestamp>.MD5

where SECONDS is the timestamp in seconds and MD5 is an md5 hash of
the message, the host name and service descriptions and some random
data. This makes the MD5 hash unique enough that it won't be
predictable. This uniqueness is all that stops unauthorized access to
the data. Since the link to the file is in the generated message, and
only people authorized for the host/service can see the message it
kind of works well.

The plugin massages the lines of data returned so that the first line
of data plus a "More..." link less than 512 characters in length is
returned to the nagios core. The "More..." link points to the URL of
the data file with all the returned data.

It was very rough and didn't handle perf data, but it worked as a
wrapper to the plugins similar to negate or urlize.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard