parent/child still not working properly

Rossz Vamos-Wentworth rossz at vamos-wentworth.org
Wed Oct 26 19:09:13 CEST 2005

I can't seem to get this working correctly.

I have this configuration:

nagios system -- router -- internet -- remote systems

The nagios server is also running a number of other applications such
such as Email, Apache, etc.  I have service checks for these.

The router is checked by pinging 192.168.2.1

The internet is checked by pinging 64.142.49.1, the first ip address
after my router.  Alerts are turned off for this (and the router) since
they can't be sent out when the connection is down.  This item is a
child of "router".

The remote systems are children of "internet".  One remote system is
also running nagios so that it can alert me if the main nagios server
loses its internet connection.  It only checks for SMTP on the main
nagios server  (and if the host is reachable, of course).

When the nagios server loses its internet connection it won't be able to
test any remote systems, which is why I made the remote system a child
of "internet".  However, it still does the tests, which all fail, then
queues up an alert for each and every failed service (about half a dozen
at the moment).  When the internet connection returns, these critical
alerts get sent out, along with the recovery alerts.

Here's what I want it to do:

If a local service fails, send an alert UNLESS "internet" is not reachable.
If a remote service fails, send an alert UNLESS "internet" is not
reachable.
 From the remote system, if SMTP on the nagios server fails, send out an
alert.

--