Check MSSQL via Perl

Rob Moss robmossrm at aol.com
Wed Oct 26 10:46:50 CEST 2005

Pavleck, Jeremy D. wrote:

>Greetings,
> I've written a very rough perl script that let's me connect to a remote
>MS SQL database and run a query, then returns the results. Alerting will
>be based on the result of the query.
> I'm just mainly wondering if anyone has written a check plugin for
>this, so I don't waste any time. I did see anything on a quick search of
>Google or NagiosExchange, but wanted to ask here as well to be safe.
>Thanks.

Hi,
   There is a contributed check_sybase.pl script with the op5plugins..

Sybase and MS SQL server were the same product until just a few years
ago where they split, and you can use almost identical connection methods..

Load on the FreeTDS libraries or Sybase OpenClient, the Perl DBI module,
and the DBD::Sybase (I'm pretty sure it works for MS SQL server)

I have also written my own sybase check which essentially does a "ping"
by logging in with a known username/password, and does a "select 1+1"
and the result should always be 2, if not then there is a big problem
and alert critical.

Cheers
rob