DNS WARNING - nslookup returned error status

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Mon Oct 24 17:50:38 CEST 2005

On 24 Oct 2005, at 14:38, Jason Byrns wrote:

> Good morning, all.
>
> I'm setting up a new and improved Nagios server, but I am seeing
> false DNS warnings.  I saw mention of this on Nagios discussion
> lists, but the Sourceforge tracker says the bug has now been fixed.
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.plugins.devel/3148

This was fixed in 1.4.2.

> I still seem to experience it, though.
>
> CentOS 4.2
> Kernel 2.6.11-22.EL
> nagios-1.2-2.2.el4.rf
> nagios-plugins-1.4-2.2.el4.rf
>
> (Nagios and Plugins from Dag Wieers Yum repository)
>
> Anyone know what must be done to solve my problem?  Is there still
> a bug from Redhat or the Nagios plugins?

At compile time, we work out if your system is affected. So if Dag's
system is not affected, you won't get the patch.

Probably best to compile the plugins yourself. The key line to look
for during ./configure is "Checking for redhat spopen problem".
However, we only do a configure check if uname -r matches: egrep "\.EL
(smp)?$", so if the line does not appear, please let me know what
your uname -r output is.

This is still an issue with Red Hat (something to do with their
pthread implementation), but I don't know if an official fix has been
released by them.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243