opinions on Nagios 2

Greg Vickers g.vickers at qut.edu.au
Mon Oct 24 02:43:08 CEST 2005

Hi Joe,

Petrucci, Joseph wrote:
> I have a client that wants me to upgrade the Nagios install I did for them earlier this year from 1.2 to the latest build of 2.0. I generally try not to upgrade until a product is out of Beta. so I have the following questions.
>
> 1.. When will 2.0 come out of Beta (estimate).

The short answer is that it will come out of beta when it does. The
longer answer is that the development of Nagios does not proceed in
lightning quick fashion and that I would not hold my breath. It *may*
come out of beta by the end of the year, but it might not. IANAD (I am
not a developer) so I may be blowing smoke in the wind here.

> 2.. I have 2 Dell 2850 Dual 3.2 Mhz and 4GB Memory running Fedora FC3 as a redundant monitoring system, to monitor 1400 hosts with an average of 10 services per host. My service checks are all active for this client. Has 2.0 been tested on this large of an installation?

Version 2.x is at least an order of magnitude faster than the 1.x
branch, we were going to have to put a distributed architecture in place
with our set up of 12k services, then I did some tests with v2.x and we
could get away with one server and 12k services :)

> 3.. does nagiosgraph work with 2.0?

Sorry, can't help you here.

--
Greg Vickers