parent/child pains

Rossz Vamos-Wentworth rossz at vamos-wentworth.org
Fri Oct 21 20:56:09 CEST 2005

Ludwig Pummer wrote:
  > Your Nagios --- Router --- Internet --- Remote Nagios
>                               +-------- Remote service 1
>                               +-------- Remote service 2
>                               +-------- Remote service 3

That's almost what I had.  Mine was:

Nagios -- Router -- Remote Stuff

Though "Router" was actually an internet test.

I added "Internet" and modified "Router" in the definition, so now I
have this:

Your nagios -- Router  --- Internet --- Remote Stuff
             (192.168.2.1) (xx.xx.xx.1)

Router and Internet each have a PING service check.
Internet's parent is Router.
Remote hosts' parent is Internet

My previous configuration is essential the same, but one less test (no
actual physical router test, just an internet test).

This is a basic entry in hosts.cfg for a remote system:

define host{
         use                     generic-host
         host_name               remote1
         alias                   Remote System
         address                 remotedomain.com
         parents                 internet
         check_command           check-host-alive
         max_check_attempts      10
         notification_interval   480
         notification_period     24x7
         notification_options    d,u,r
         }

Notification is handled via email and cell phone text message.

I definately need to get this mess done right because in a week I start
a new job and one of the things I will be taking care of is setting up a
Nagios system for a large number of hosts and services.  Doing it wrong
will multiple this morning's alert problems by a thousand fold! :(

--
Rossz