parent/child pains

Rossz Vamos-Wentworth rossz at vamos-wentworth.org
Fri Oct 21 19:17:40 CEST 2005

I guess I'm misunderstanding how this works.  I'm running Nagios 1.2 on
Debian.

I configured the remote servers to have my local router as their
parent.  The router status is tested by checking for an internet
connection from the nagios server.  The idea being when my nagios host
looses its internet connection I won't receive a ton of notifications.
I have one of the remote systems monitoring my nagios server just so it
can alert me when there is a connectivity problem.  This morning the
nagios server lost its internet connection and queued up a mess of
alerts for all the remote services it is monitoring.  It couldn't
actually send them out since that requires an internet connection.  When
connectivity returned all those "down" alerts went out, followed closely
by the "Up" alerts.

I did receive the notification from the remote system letting me know my
nagios server had a problem and recovered, so at least something worked
right.

--
Rossz