./nrpe don't start!

Rob Moss robmossrm at aol.com
Fri Oct 21 12:49:01 CEST 2005

lkk at interfree.it wrote:

>>have you ever tried to start it with "strace" (if you're on a linux system) ??
>>

>The nrpe daemon run on Solaris 9
>Can you send me the strace sintax for to view errors?

Have you checked the syslog error messages in /var/adm/messages??
Have you run NRPE with the full path(s)  /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -c
/usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg    (replace /usr/local/nagios with
wherever you installed it to)

On Solaris you can use 'truss' which is what shows you the system calls
that are running, and will show any errors that the application has.
You would run at the prompt:

truss /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg

Also, you can run 'ldd' on the nrpe binary to see if it's missing any
libraries (like openssl etc)

Cheers
rob