displaying a performance matrix in nagios interface

chenfang at sonic.net chenfang at sonic.net
Fri Oct 21 08:55:56 CEST 2005

Dear nagios experts,

I am a rookie in the nagios world, I have two simple questions to ask:

1. I am trying to add a dummy simple plugin service in the nagios just to
have a feel for it. I have added all the necessary lines in the .cfg files
and my service does showup in the console, but in the status information
column, it always give me "Service check did not exit properly". Why is
this? What else I need to do? My C program looks like this:
   int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
    printf("HelloWorld_test GOOD | 'response time'=3s");
    return(0);
}
2. I have an existing Java program that collects statistics information
about our client-server application such as response time, request per
minutes etc. Ideally I would like to display these data in a matrix in
nagios. So the question is:

   --- What is the best way to do this? Do I need a C program on top of my
Java program so that I can at least(in the minimum) pass params.
defined in .cfg files from C to Jave?
   --- Do I also need to return those stats from Java to C so that my
plugin C program can printf it?
   --- Or can I use the Passive service check to display these matrix?

please help,

many thanks,

chenfang