Suggestion about new field in Service Object

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Oct 20 23:51:37 CEST 2005

Billow Gao wrote:
> Technically, I can patch the source in hours.
>
> The problem is, I don't want to patch others' project unless the project is
> dead.

Why not? Patches is what opensource projects feed on (along with user
feedback, ideas, beta-testers and whatnot, but most of all patches).

> I am sure you guys are still working on the project and the software will be
> upgraded soon, rit...

Ethan is the head honcho. I'm just beta-testing and bugfixing and
general improvement fella. I don't have CVS access and I'll probably
never get it either (I'm a tinkerer and a perfectionist, so I can't ever
leave any source alone).

> Just want to let you know what people may need from nagios.....

Here's a thought then;
Create a custom notification script that fetches the proper email from a
database or a flatfile. It's certainly easy enough.

> I think that some software like nagios, should focus on large network or
> middle size network.

I'm with you there, and I'm working on making nagios scale better. It
doesn't involve making it load faster though, since that's a one-time
penalty rather than a recurring one. It would be nice if it could load a
bit quicker on insanely large configurations, but it's a secondary item
to some "real" performance tweaks I've been looking into.

> Since if I have only one server or two, we don't really need a too
> complicate monitor system.
> Actually, just some plug-ins which nagios used, like check_ping, check_tcp,
> check_udp can do the job.....
>
> BTW, use nagios, our main purpose is:
> notify the customer on time if a server/serivce is down so they know it and
> then they will decide what to do.
> We just notify them and that's it.
>
> So notificiation is the most important job since customers want to be the
> first to know if their server/services are down.

So put some effort into the notification system then, rather than using
the default one. It's just a command that Nagios will run after all, so
there's no need to make it irksome.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se