Suggestion about new field in Service Object

Billow Gao billowgao at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 19:51:02 CEST 2005

Hi there,

Since I want to use nagios on a large network with thousands of
server/services, it's very slow for nagios to load thousands of objects.
Is it possible that we can add a new field in Service Object, like:
service_alias and then add a macro in it.
With the new field, we can add some useful data in it and reduce the cfg's
size.

For example: For notification, since most of our services are using the same
format of notification, just different email address.
There will be thousands of different email address. And we have to create a
contact object and a contact group for every single email address.
It's really annoy and increase the cfg size a lot.
>From our test, when nagios load a 20MB file, it will need more than 10
minutes. 10K small cfg files, it will need 5 minutes. It's too slow.

If we add a new field and a new macro for a service/host object, we can just
add the email address in it and then use the same contactgroup, contact
object. And the notification command, will just use the email address from
the new macro. So just one contact/contactgroup for thoursand of services.

Yes we know there is a serviceextinfo object which can do the job but it's
still more than just one line.

Also, the performance for nagios on a large network with thousand of
services are not good.
resources with lots of tasks in pending.
The load in the server is also 1.xx, never go to 2.xx, memory usage is very
low.
And nagios only launch 350 process at the same time and leave lots of server
recourses unused.

Maybe need to think about how to use more resouces to do more job on a
dedicated server which only run nagios.

Thanks

Billow