Blank check_command in host stanza causes error

prosolutions at gmx.net prosolutions at gmx.net
Wed Oct 19 20:17:43 CEST 2005

> On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 04:21:30PM -0700, prosolutions at gmx.net wrote:
> > I have an IP address that I want to just ping monitor.  It seems
> > redundant to have it defined as both a "host" and a "service".  According to
> > http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/xodtemplate.html under
> > "check_command" in the hosts section "If you leave this argument blank,
> > the host will not be checked - Nagios will always assume the host is
> > up."  However, when I do leave it blank, I get an error "Error: Could
> > not add object property in file"
> What if you leave the line out entirely? That or define a dummy
> checkcommand that always returns true.

Leaving out the check_command line from the host's stanza works.  Using check_dummy
changes the host status to display "OK" plus any optional text I enter.  Ideal would be to not display "OK" but "NA" or just blank but I can live with this inserting optional text to indicate the real status.

Another interesting thing I noted about this host for which nagios saved
the old status error: any time I would do a reload of nagios the host
would turn red again and new alerts would get sent out for it.

Thanks for your help.