critical=ok

Guy B. Purcell guy at extragalactic.net
Wed Oct 19 19:43:57 CEST 2005

On Oct 19, 2005, at 08:18, Anxo wrote:

> i´ve got two servers one of them have the DNS service
> enable and the other server is a backup of the first
> and it have Dns service desable. Well, i´m monitoring
> with nagios this service in both servers and i receibe
> as result for the first ok and for the second
> critical, anybody know how can i invert this result in
> the second server. I can put Dns service as two
> diferent service for example, but how can i invert the
> result on the second server and put the result
> critical as ok.

As has been pointed out, you could use the "negate" plug-in, but I
think doing this is fundamentally wrong.  The DNS is one of those
services that has been beautifully designed to handle server/node
failure gracefully.  The proper way of hosting highly available name
service is to have all the nameservers up and running.  If you have
just the two, then make it critical when one fails; if you have more,
you can set up a Nagios cluster monitor and just issue a warning if
one goes down.  Hacking scripts & anti-parallel monitors together to
make sure you have a nameserver up isn't very elegant, manageable, or
scalable.

-Guy