(No output returned from host check)

Rob Moss robmossrm at aol.com
Wed Oct 19 14:07:13 CEST 2005

Albert Whale wrote:

> Subhendu Ghosh wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Albert Whale wrote:
>>
>>> What is this error?
>>>
>>> I am getting this on the Nagios Server, which is odd, because it is
>>> the performing the monitoring.
>>>
>>> I suspect this may be a firewall issue, but not knowing what is
>>> generating this message and reporting Host Status Down, I am not
>>> able to resolve this.
>>>
>>> What causes this message?
>>>

>> Plugin is not returning any output on STDOUT.
>>
>> As "nagios", run the plugin with the matching command line args to
>> see what happens.
>

> Um, dumb question time, which plugin?

The plugin that is returning the error.  It's your setup, why don't you
know?  How are we going to know? You haven't posted any information on
the problem, so we can't help you with the answer.

Please use the part of your mind that does troubleshooting,  problem
solving and apparently passes CISSP, CISA and CHS exams.

The nagios documentation is at http://www.nagios.org and contains a FAQ
on how you can go about fixing problems like this, or you can trawl the
list for other people who have had similar problems.

Here is a wild guess:   "Host check" is the initial ping check done by
Nagios to establish if the host is up or down, and whether or not to run
any service checks.  If there is no output, then the possible causes are
no DNS record, or you can't run the check_ping program.  Read through
your logfiles and read the FAQ before posting anything more on this
subject, you need to do your homework.

rob.