Checking a service on all hosts _except_...

Marcel Mitsuto Fucatu Sugano msugano at uolinc.com
Tue Oct 18 18:48:14 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 14:21 +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Ian Marlier wrote:
> >

> >>From: Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se>
> >>Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:57:20 +0200
> >>To: Ian Marlier <ian.marlier at studentuniverse.com>
> >>Cc: "nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net" <nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
> >>Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Checking a service on all hosts _except_...

> >>define service {
> >>   service_description   SSH
> >>   host_name             *
> >>   hostgroup_name        !windows-servers
> >>   check_command         check_ssh
> >>}
> >>
> >>I think that should work. If it doesn't you can always do it the other
> >>way around and create a hostgroup with everything but the
> >>windows-servers in them.
> >

> > Hmmm....that doesn't seem to work, unfortunately, because that would be a
> > very nice solution...
> >
> > I know that I can create the hostgroup -- since I have so few machines that
> > run windows (and it's a number that's going to get smaller), I'm just hoping
> > to avoid having to maintain an "all but 5 machines" type of group...
> >
> > Thanks for the thought, Andreas.
> >

> I know the ! should work somewhere in the config. Perhaps you'll have
> better luck if you do
>
> define hostgroup {
>      hostgroup_name    non-windows-servers
>      alias             Only FUN servers
>      members           *,!windows-server1,!windows-server2
> }
>
> Then make a service for that hostgroup to check ssh.

You should configure these at nagios.cfg:

---
# REGULAR EXPRESSION MATCHING
# This option controls whether or not regular expression matching
# takes place in the object config files.  Regular expression
# matching is used to match host, hostgroup, service, and service
# group names/descriptions in some fields of various object types.
# Values: 1 = enable regexp matching, 0 = disable regexp matching

use_regexp_matching=1

# "TRUE" REGULAR EXPRESSION MATCHING
# This option controls whether or not "true" regular expression
# matching takes place in the object config files.  This option
# only has an effect if regular expression matching is enabled
# (see above).  If this option is DISABLED, regular expression
# matching only occurs if a string contains wildcard characters
# (* and ?).  If the option is ENABLED, regexp matching occurs
# all the time (which can be annoying).
# Values: 1 = enable true matching, 0 = disable true matching

use_true_regexp_matching=1
---

Please tell us if it works,

HTH,