Checking a service on all hosts _except_...

Ian Marlier ian.marlier at studentuniverse.com
Tue Oct 18 13:41:40 CEST 2005

> From: Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se>
> Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:57:20 +0200
> To: Ian Marlier <ian.marlier at studentuniverse.com>
> Cc: "nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net" <nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Checking a service on all hosts _except_...
>
> Ian Marlier wrote:
>> Hey, all --
>>
>> This is one of those questions that I'm sure many people have asked before,
>> but I haven't been able to find the answer if/when it was given...so sorry
>> if I'm making someone repeat him/herself....
>>
>> Anyway.
>>
>> I've got an environment with about 65 linux servers, and about 5 windows
>> servers.  There's a base set of 6 or 7 services that I want to monitor on
>> all of them: connectivity, ssh, cron, and a couple of others.
>>
>> I'm wondering whether it's possible to define a hostgroup (say,
>> "windows-servers") with the non-linux boxes listed, and then define a
>> service check for all hosts except those.
>>
>> Something like:
>>
>> define service {
>> name    SSH
>> host_name   *
>> except_hostgroup    windows-servers
>> check_command   check_ssh
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> }
>>
>> So, anyone have any thoughts?  C'mon, make my life better ;-)
>>

> define service {
>    service_description   SSH
>    host_name             *
>    hostgroup_name        !windows-servers
>    check_command         check_ssh
> }
>
> I think that should work. If it doesn't you can always do it the other
> way around and create a hostgroup with everything but the
> windows-servers in them.

Hmmm....that doesn't seem to work, unfortunately, because that would be a
very nice solution...

I know that I can create the hostgroup -- since I have so few machines that
run windows (and it's a number that's going to get smaller), I'm just hoping
to avoid having to maintain an "all but 5 machines" type of group...

Thanks for the thought, Andreas.

- Ian