AW: Socket Timeout

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Oct 18 13:27:24 CEST 2005

Thomas.Zimmer at oppenheim.de wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
> Many thanks for the solution of the timout-prob. Do you think the
> modification the socket receive buffers could cause undesireble consequences
> for the system nagios is running on?

The program enhancing the buffers will ofcourse consume more memory. On
some systems this comes from the kernel's pre-allocated chunks which it
is either expensive or impossible to grow. Since it's only one program
and one socket though it shouldn't make much difference.

> Any security-related issues?

Not with a sane implementation which most systems have these days.
Ancient True64 had some problems, as did HPUX and UniCOS. To my
knowledge this has been fixed though (except possibly UniCOS which I
doubt you're running).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se