check_nrpe issue

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Oct 15 09:41:17 CEST 2005

Todd Barbera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had tried posting about a problem using NRPE 2.0 and check_log2 yesterday
> but unfortunately no one responded. I ended up trying the plug-in
> check_log.pl, but I'm still getting the same error, which is:
>
> CHECK_NRPE: Error receiving data from daemon.
>
> Other plug-ins are working fine, such as check_oracle. I'm running Nagios
> 2.0b3 on a Solaris 9 sparc machine. The client is the same. Does anyone have
> any ideas why the check_log2 and check_log.pl plug-ins do not seem to work
> with NRPE? BTW, check_log.pl is MUCH faster than check_log2. What exactly
> does this error message imply?

That you need to do what says in the readme and look in the logs on the
remote site. In 75 cases out of 100, the nrpe host isn't configured to
allow the client to connect to it. In about 20% of the cases one end
supports (and tries to use) SSL while the other doesn't. In the
remaining 5, there is a protocol mismatch (check_nrpe 2.0 being used to
poll nrpe 1.8).

> A search of the mailing lists and FAQ didn't
> shed any light on it. Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

I shall have to remedy that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se