Fwd: reboot

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Oct 14 23:02:16 CEST 2005

If the host is down, how will you reboot it remotely? That's the biggest
question you need to answer before you can proceed. Second is what OS is
running on the remote machine?

If you had it attached to some kind of remote power device you might be
able to script an event handler to perform whatever action is required
to get it to reset the power to the device but we can't tell you how to
do that because we don't know what you'd be using or how it works.

If you can still access the remote system, it's unix-like, ssh is still
available _and_ it's responsive to commands, you could create an event
handler script that ssh's in and issues the 'shutdown -r now' command as
a first attempt to reboot the machine. If all that's true however, why
would nagios be seeing it as down?

You could probably also use an event handler to trigger snmpd running on
the remote machine to restart the box as well but again, if that's
working, why is nagios showing it as down? I'd also be _very_ cautious
of allowing remote restarts via SNMP if this wasn't on a private, secure
network (and even then it's questionable...)

--
Marc