check_ping vs. check_icmp? Unexpected output.

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Oct 14 20:44:38 CEST 2005

John P. Rouillard wrote:
> In message <434FBC3A.8060604 at op5.se>,
> Andreas Ericsson writes:

>>>This isn't anywhere near the latest version and I believe I've added
>>>quite a few patches to it since then. For the latest version you'll need
>>>the plugin-pack from http://oss.op5.se/nagios.
>>>
>>>Quite a lot of bugs has been fixed since february.
>>>

>>Although this one wasn't, now that I've checked it up (sorry about
>>that).
>

> Not a problem.
>

>>http://oss.op5.se/nagios/op5plugins-2005-10-14.tar.gz holds an updated
>>version, which also fixes a less annoying bug in check_hpjd along with
>>some minor stuff in check_users (for instance).
>

> Cool. Thanks. BTW why have these changes not filtered back into the
> mainline code?

For a couple of reasons;
1) I don't like the sourceforge tracker item. It usually takes me a full
five minutes to send in a single patch to it, so I don't. I also
positively loathe the feedback provided from it (no in-line posting in
the messages, making it difficult to follow what's being said and by whom).

2) Official maintainers keep a rock-hard policy that patches should be
submitted to the tracker thingie if they're to go into the main
distribution. This is good because it makes their life easier, but it's
bad because it makes my life harder.

3) The plugins have gone from very portable (1.3.1) to less portable
while not, strictly speaking, adding very much in the ways of new
functionality (the new ps tool for solaris is neat). What has been added
is perfparse output (but poorly implemented), i18n support (but poor use
of library functions makes life harder on the translators).

4) Much of the code in the plugin distribution is far from stellar, but
the fixes required are, literally, all over the place. Therefore it's
very hard to juggle the amount of patches required to fix it all in one go.

4 is what finally turned out to be too much for me. I'm in charge of
plugin quality and testing at OP5 (where I work), and the last plugin
package where we used the official distro had 63 patches. It took six
full days to make them all apply cleanly while it only took five minutes
to fork the plugins and set up my own repo where I continually fix
things and implement code-reducing library routines and improvements.

Sadly, things have gotten to where it would require somewhere near a
weeks work to merge the two repositories, so it keeps getting put off
and the list of code-conflicts grows. This is mostly my fault, since
Sean Finney and Ben Clewett have both offered to assist with the merging.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se