check_ping vs. check_icmp? Unexpected output.

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Oct 14 15:22:59 CEST 2005

John P. Rouillard wrote:
> In message <434F6442.8020004 at op5.se>,
> Andreas Ericsson writes:
>

>>Nate Carlson wrote:
>>
>>>What's the difference between check_ping and check_icmp?
>>>

>>check_icmp can also be used in check_host mode (create a symlink
>>check_host -> check_icmp and execute check_host) which runs extremely
>>quickly to determine if a host is up whenever a service check fails.
>>Ordinary check_ping would take 5 seconds to determine that the host is
>>up in an ordinary setup, while check_host usually does the same trick in
>>just about the same amount of time as it takes for a packet to make a
>>round trip to the destination target (usually between 1 and 10
>>milliseconds on a local network).
>

> That is great info. "check_icmp -h" doesn't mention the check_host
> functioanlity at all.

I know. I'm one of those lazy people who think users should read the
code if they want documentation. I'll make a mention of it though.

>>Considering the fact that service checks aren't executed while host
>>checks are running, the check_host mode of check_icmp is a fairly major
>>improvement in terms of overall Nagios performance.
>

> I have the check_host link in place and with the 1.4.2 release of the
> plugins, with cvs id:
>
>    * $Id: check_icmp.c,v 1.5 2005/02/01 07:33:13 stanleyhopcroft Exp $

This isn't anywhere near the latest version and I believe I've added
quite a few patches to it since then. For the latest version you'll need
the plugin-pack from http://oss.op5.se/nagios.

Quite a lot of bugs has been fixed since february.

> Also the nagios-plugins Makefile fails to create the links to
> check_host or check_rta_multi.

True. The check_rta_multi isn't very tested or documented. The
check_host link would most likely be nice to create though. I'll add it
to the OP5 version of the plugins as soon as I get around to it.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se