Check diskspace on remote machines

Max btmanmeh at verizon.net
Thu Oct 13 15:39:54 CEST 2005

Tedman Eng wrote:
> FAQ # F0059: How do I monitor services on remote hosts?
>
> http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=59&expand=false&showdesc=false
>

> As for pointers:
> 1. SNMP is easiest if you have it installed

Is it possible using check_snmp, to have the command query the remote
machine, return the list of disks, and then automatically have those
checked for disk space?

Meaning, say I have / /home /var /opt that I would like to monitor. As
it stands now, I have a command defined below:

define command{
         command_name    snmp_disk
         command_line    $USER1$/check_snmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C public
-o UCD-SNMP-MIB::dskAvail.$ARG1$,UCD-SNMP-MIB::dskPercent.$ARG1$ -w
90:,:90 -c 95:,:95 -u 'kB free (','% used)' -l 'Disk space' -o
UCD-SNMP-MIB::dskPath.$ARG1$

This works great and returns "Disk space OK - 2868624 kB free ( 27 %
used) /", which is reading the snmpd.conf file where "/" is my first
disk to be listed as sysroot.

Basically, I want to be able to add a host, tell Nagios to check the
host's disks automatically by polling the remote machine, and then
return it's information back with all of the disks and space used. The
reason for this is because I have a ton of machines with a not so
standard disk and partition layout. One machine might have it's usual
/home /opt /var, one might have things being mounted and used on
different things.

Max