Possible bug in NSCA

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Thu Oct 13 13:06:36 CEST 2005

On 13 Oct 2005, at 11:31, Chris Wilson wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 11:25, Ton Voon wrote:
>

>> Which platform are you running on? We're recently fixed a problem on
>> the plugins re: ECHLD status codes for spopen calls on Redhat ES4.
>>

> Running on Fedora Core 2. I don't know what spopen() does, but this is
> an error that occurs in accept() (where ECHILD doesn't make sense
> to me,
> and is apparently undocumented).

As Fedora is a derivative of Red Hat ES, it could be related (or I
could be leading you down a tangential path).

The thread was called "check_dns: DNS WARNING - nslookup returned
error status" in the nagiosplug-devel mailing list, but here's a
summary:

Problem was that using a popen call, nslookup and dig were
occasionally returning ECHLD statuses on a wait() call and thus
check_dns and check_dig were incorrectly returning warning statuses.
Couldn't find any other commands causing the problem.

We created a test case where if you ran the nslookup command
repeatedly, it would fail about 60% of the time (for 10 invocations).
You'll find the test in the 1.4.2 release of the plugins.

Sasche Runschke has raised this with Red Hat. It has been
acknowledged, but I haven't had an update recently.

The feeling is that the futex handling in the kernel is responsible,
but I don't know if it could be related to your issue.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
F: +44 (0)845 280 1725