Max number of services that can be monitored ?

misc at viceconsulting.co.nz misc at viceconsulting.co.nz
Wed Oct 12 23:07:41 CEST 2005

Hi Hendrick,

> I would suggest, that Alex should enable the perf-data, to see if
> there is one host or special service that screws up the latency.
> We have one Server with double proceccor Xeon 1,0Ghz, 2 Gig of Ram

OK, so you're saying there may be one host that is particularly lagged and
therefore increasing my average latency?

> 1. Enable the perf-data. (Tip: Say Nagios it should write both, host
> and service perf data in one file. So you can see how Nagios works
> and when the latency screws up)
> 2. Perhaps, even if the memory is not eaten up by nagios, think about
> to give your server more RAM.
> 3. Try to figure out, if your system has sometimes wa-cycles. If
> every process on your system is waiting for IO, then the ram is NOT
> eaten up and swapping isn't used to, but even no performance.

Well I do have perf-data enabled and I am graphing the Nagios server's
metrics.  Basically latency used to be fine, but I added 55 new hosts then
it slowed down.  The only change in the graphs is the CPU usage went from
~50% to 90-100%.  I'm also graphing CPU IO Wait% and IO Wait is
negligible.

> Please tell us, what service_check interval you have. If your nagios
> checks nearly every minute it may be hard for: a) your monitoring
> host, b) the (local) network, c) the (possibly existing) wan network.

>From nagios.cfg:

interval_length=60

> Are your 60 hosts normaly up and running or do they often falls down?
> Everytime when nagios is executing a host check, all other service
> checks are beeing "stopped", because a host check gets a higher check
> priority then a service check. So if the scheduler has enough to do
> for service checks and there are some host checks comming between the
> other service checks are executed later then they normaly were
> scheduled.

The 60 hosts are usually always up.... I may disable host checking though,
I don't find its that useful.

> Hope that gives some ideas.

Yeah... thanks for that info.  Gives me a couple of things to think about.

-Alex.