Backup Connection Monitoring

Michael J. Hartwick hartwick at hartwick.com
Tue Oct 11 03:07:35 CEST 2005

Hi,

I have a DSL line with a dial backup. The DSL connection occasionally
gets into a strange state. Ideally I would like to have Nagios detect
the dial backup connection come up and run a script that can login to
the DSL connection and reset the interface. The script should be easy
enough to do. Detecting when the dial backup connection comes up is
easy, the problem is the connection is normally down. I have the dial
backup and the DSL connection as parents to the servers behind them.
When I am running on the DSL connection (most of the time) Nagios
shows a blocking outage.

Does anyone know any way to configure Nagios around this problem?

Michael

Michael J. Hartwick, VE3SLQ                      hartwick at hartwick.com
Hartwick Communications Consulting                      (519) 396-7719
Kincardine, ON, CA                             http://www.hartwick.com