WEB-Interface performance

Marcel Mitsuto Fucatu Sugano msugano at uolinc.com
Mon Oct 10 16:20:10 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 10:41 +0100, Rob Moss wrote:
> Marcel Mitsuto Fucatu Sugano wrote:
> > Hello again,
> >
> > On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 11:16 +0100, Rob Moss wrote:
> > > Yeah, there are some CFLAGS you could be using to optmise your
> > > build.. I am assuming that you have a recent version of GCC, and
> > > that your P4 HT cpu is shown as having two logical CPU's
> > >
> > > Try rebuilding with the following command:
> > >
> > > cd  nagios-2.0b4
> > > CC=gcc CFLAGS="-mtune=i686 -O3 -pipe -march=i686 -funroll-loops
> > > -ffast-math" \
> > >     ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/nagios ...... [rest of nagios
> > > configure commands]
> >
> > I've tried this with no luck, having an error message displaying
> > that -ffast-math wasn't a recognized flag, with gcc-3.3.5. This was
> > the second try to handle the cgi's performance. The first thing we
> > tryied, was setting up a tmpfs mountpoint at /opt/nagios/var/tmpfs,
> > and pointed nagios to write the status file there, but again with
> > some errors that was a little weird, the cgi begins to ending
> > prematurely (apache errorlog), and displaying "500 internal server
> > error". This happened to 10% of the check_http running to test
> > it :), and the response time didn't get too much of a performace
> > improvement as well.
> >
> > I don't think this could be Virtual Machine OS's fault, so the
> > problem might be with the status.cgi reading the tmpfs, but i can't
> > tell for sure, as we tried this setup yesterday. Is there anyone
> > here who made it? (status.dat been written in a tmpfs mountpoint?)
>
> The flag -ffast-math is in GCC 3.4.2, but I had assumed it was part of
> the 3.x version of GCC.  You can simply omit that flag, and compiling
> should work again.  (I'm surprised you didn't do that yourself).

I did it, after placing status.dat on a tmpfs partition, and having no
performance improvement.

[...]
> When you moved the status.dat file into the tmpfs volume, did you make
> a symlink from where the file came from (make a symlink
> from /opt/nagios/var/status.dat -> /opt/nagios/var/tmpfs/status.dat) ?

No. I told nagios to put the status.dat on the tmpfs, per config.

> Also, when you talk about the Virtual Machine OS.. are you running the
> O/S under VMWare?  You do realise that Emulating an O/S is going to be
> slower and less stable, right?
Errr... Sorry, that was a typo. I should meant Virtual Memory FS, the
kernel task of handlig shared memory (formerly shm fs).

> Cheers
> rob.

Thanks for your answers, Bob.
--