Installation of Nagios 1.2 on FreeBSD 5.4

Tom Daly tom at dyndns.com
Mon Oct 10 14:31:08 CEST 2005

Hello,
We recently installed Nagios 1.2 from source onto a FreeBSD 5.4 machine.
When using the method "make init-install", a script named "nagios" was
placed into the machine's /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ directory. We know that
this is supposed to be Nagios' init script, however, on FreeBSD, init
scripts must have the file extension ".sh" per the FreeBSD handbook.

"While every script must meet some minimal requirements, most of the time
these requirements are FreeBSD version agnostic. Each script must have a
.sh extension appended to the end and every script must be executable by
the system. The latter may be achieved by using the chmod command and
setting the unique permissions of 755. There should also be, at minimal,
an option to start the application and an option to stop the application."

While this is easy to correct, I'm wondering if others have come across
this, and what the proper channels are to notify the author of this
platform-nostic issue.

Warm Regards,
Tom Daly

--